Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Warren Franklin Gerner's 1957 Death Certificate

John Gerner, Alfonzo Gerner, and Warren Gerner
Warren Franklin Gerner is the man on the right, sitting on the running board of this 1941 or 1942 Chevrolet Business Coupe in a park in Niles, Ohio, for a family reunion.  He is with his brothers, John, standing, and Alfonzo (aka Fon or Fawn), sitting beside him.  He is the son of Fredrick and Elvira (Bartley) Gerner, brother to my paternal grandmother, Beulah (Gerner) Doyle.

I have very little documentation about Warren.  In fact, I think this death certificate is the first document I've found for him.  Most of the information I have comes from family sources.  Several of his great-grandchildren have contacted me as well as a few other Gerner descendants. 

I understand that Warren was married at least twice but I have the name of only one of his wives, Leila Davis. 

Below is his 1957 California death certificate which I found at FamilySearch's California, County Birth and Death Records, 1800-1994, and a transcription  You can see this record here with a free FamilySearch account.

Warren Franklin Gerner's 1957 California death certificate
Certificate of Death, State of California--Department of Public Health
Registration District No. 7097, Registrar's Number 1164
Decedent Personal Data
Name of Deceased--First/Middle/Last  WARREN FRANKLIN GERNER
Date of Death  JAN. 24, 1957  Hour 3:00 AM
Sex:  MALE
Color or Race:  CAUC
Specify [marital status]:  DIVORCED
Date of Birth:  JULY 10, 1890
Age (last birthday):  66 years
Usual Occupation:  JIG BUILDER
Kind of Business or Industry:  AIRCRAFT INDUSTRY
Birthplace:  PENNSYLVANIA
Citizen of What Country:  U.S.A.
Name and Birthplace of Gather:  FREDRICH GERNER, GERMANY
Maiden Name and Birthplace of Mother:  ELVIRA BARTLEY, W. VA.
Was Deceased Ever in U.S. Armed Forces?  NO
Social Security Number:  292-10-8270
Informant:  TEDDY MAX GERNER
Place of Death
County:  LOS ANGELES
City or Town:  BELLFLOWER
Length of Stay in This City or Town:  6 MOS.
Last Usual Residence:  State:  CALIF.  County:  LOS ANGELES:  City or Town:  BELLFLOWER
Street or Rural Address:  9141 E. CENTER ST.
Coroner's Certification
Coroner:  ...INVESTIGATION
Signature:   E. A. WINSTANLEY, CORONER [rubber stamped]
BY ELDON BOYD, M.D. [signature]
Address:  HALL OF JUSTICE, LOS ANGELES
Date Signed:  1-25-57
Funeral Director and Registrar
Specify...  BURIAL
Date:  1-29-57
Cemetery:  ARTESIA CEMETERY
Signature of Embalmer & License Number:  WILLIAM F. HAND, 4230
Funeral Director:  BELLFLOWER MORTUARY
Date Received by Local Registrar:  JAN 28 1957
Signature of Local Registrar:  ROSEMARY STEPHENSON
Filed:  MAR 1 1957  Ray E. Lee, Country Recorder   2050

Observations
This certificate of death gives no information about the cause of death.  Because there was a coroner's investigation I wonder if Warren's death was the result of an accident. 

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2021, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a death certificate that didn't have SOMETHING about a cause of death.
    What a great picture from the reunion. Wonder what they were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This death certificate without a cause of death makes me wonder if it was county form or a state form and whether California currently has cause of death on certificates. It seems very strange that this one doesn't.
      Yes, I wonder what the topic of conversation was, too, Wendy. If they were women I might think they were chitchatting, but not men.... Haha.

      Delete
  2. I noticed there was no cause of death. How intriguing. Maybe it's better not to know. I've seen causes that haunt me sometimes. I'm glad you found this certificate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree, Robin. Suicide, horrible accidents, etc., stay in my brain and I feel so sad for those ancestors.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...