Friday, May 3, 2013

Our Favorite Granola Recipe

Someone recently told me that everyone thinks their granola recipe is the best.  I've tried others and I have to disagree, but out of respect to others, I won't tell you that this is the best granola.  I will tell you, though, that this recipe is adaptable.  And is our favorite!

Heat together until combined:
1 c. oil
3 1/2 c. honey (18-20 oz.)

In a large bowl mix:
14 c. instant rolled oats (42-oz. canister)
3 c. sunflower seeds (~14 oz.)
1 1/3 c. toasted wheat germ (~11-12 oz.)
3 c. cashews (~18-20 oz.)
3 c. peanuts (~24 oz.)

Gently pour the warm oil/honey mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are completely coated.  It should be moist but not sticky.  If it's sticky, gradually add and mix in more of one of the ingredients.

Heat oven to 250 degrees.  Spread the granola over 4 large cookie sheets so that it's no deeper than 1-2".  Bake in oven for 1 hour.  Turn and bake another hour or until the granola drys out and looks light gold.  Remove from cookie sheets onto wax paper-covered newspapers and let cool.  Store in airtight containers.

The best way to eat this granola, in my opinion, is to put about half a cup of your favorite vanilla yogurt in a bowl, then coat it with just as much granola.  Yes, I know.   Someone once told me that this is just a convenient way of having dessert for breakfast.  That may be so, but it's healthy, filling, and delicious.  Comfort food, really.  (My husband's opinion is that it's best with milk.)

About the adaptability part:  If you happen not to like cashews, you can substitute almonds or walnuts or pecans or any other nut, as long as you substitute by measure, not by weight.  You can use fewer peanuts and more cashews, or more peanuts and fewer cashews, or more oats and less of something else.  You can cut the recipe in half, though I wouldn't recommend doubling it because it already makes such a huge quantity. 

This is an expensive recipe to make with the price of nuts so high:  we consider it an extravagant treat when we make it these days and enjoy every morsel.

If you have questions, please leave a comment and I'll respond.

Enjoy!

--Nancy.

Copyright ©2013-2018, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 
.

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe and wish I was there to enjoy it now!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...