Monday, September 2, 2019

Happy Labor Day

My father taking a well-deserved, late afternoon break.
I believe he was the hardest-working man I have ever known!
There was a time in America when laborers worked long hours with little time for rest and less time for recreation.  They were often at the mercy of their employers concerning their wages and hours of employment.  Thank goodness things began to change when, in 1894, Labor Day became a federal holiday.

My ancestors, both men and women, worked long, hard hours, each with his and her own role in the family, each contributing to keep the family afloat and successful.

Most of the males among my ancestors were what would be called blue collar workers today, though the phrase didn't exist during their times.  They worked in coal mines, steel mills, and on farms.  They were carpenters, carriage builders, coal miners, farmers, and a barber and electrician, among other occupations.  Some earlier ancestors were self-employed and not dependent on others for wages, but on the work they did and the character they built as honest workmen providing quality goods.  

Most of the women among my ancestors labored keeping a home, raising children, making sure there was healthy food on the table and plenty preserved in the larder; tending sick children; and doing a myriad of activities to make a safe and comfortable home for their families.  A few of my female ancestors worked outside the home.  One grandmother was a midwife, on call as needed; another worked in a bakery to earn tuition for her daughter to attend college; one worked as a milliner before she married; and my mom worked as a nurse before children came.  Few records exist that tell me occupations of my foremothers other than "keeping home." 

By example my parents taught us children a good, solid work ethic.  They also taught us to work by practice:  there was plenty of work we were required to do, and do it well.  No ne'er-do-wells in our home!

Happy Labor Day!

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2019, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. Picnic table under a tree - what a lovely spot for a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Wendy. In warm weather it was a great place to play cards with my cousin or other friends, work on crafts, eat dinner. I loved having the picnic table there.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...