Sunday, February 21, 2021

"A Very Convincing Lie"

I love this thought--the acknowledgement of a possibility--from The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab.  A similar thought has crossed my mind more than once.
"There’s this family photo," he says, "not the one in the hall, this other one, from back when I was six or seven.  That day was awful.  Muriel put gum in David’s book and I had a cold, and my parents were fighting right up until the flash went off.  And in the photo, we all look so . . . happy.  I remember seeing that picture and realizing that photographs weren’t real.  There’s no context, just the illusion that you’re showing a snapshot of a life, but life isn’t snapshots, it’s fluid.  So photos are like fictions.  I love that about them.  Everyone thinks photography is truth, but it’s just a very convincing lie.”
I have often wondered, when looking at some of my old family photographs, exactly what happened before the camera's shutter snapped.  So often I think I can see the hint of a smile in the eyes or about the mouth.  Had the photographer told a joke, or said "Say cheese," or had a member of the group piped up with a humorous quip? 

But among my family photos there is one in which nearly everyone looks either neutral, sour, or angry.  Only the young lady in the center bears the hit of a smile and the little girl on the right wears a full smile. (Click the photo to enlarge in a new screen, click again to enlarge again.)


Could it be that the "convincing lie" in this photo is that the family is truly a happy family caught in the midst of some unpleasantness just before the photographer snapped the photo?  The photo, a full-page black and white photocopy, was among the papers of my aunt, Polly Meinzen, after she died.  There were no names or a date noted anywhere.  Who knows what size the original image was, perhaps a tiny 2" x 4" snapshot, or maybe larger.  I wish she'd at least made a color photocopy, or better yet, had a real copy made.  I wish I had more but I'm grateful to have this.

Based on the dress sleeves of the two young women, back left, I date this image to about mid 1890s, 1894-1896.  I can identify the older man and woman as Henry and Elizabeth (Armitage) Meinzen.  The man at front left is their son, Henry.  The others are likely their children.

Henry, on the left, born in 1870, would have been about 25.
Other possible children are
> Hannah, born 1875, would have been about 20-21.
> Isabelle, born about, would have been about 15-16.
> Mina, born 1885, would have been 10-11.
> Lula, born 1887, would have been about 8-9.
> Bertha, born 1888, would have been about 7-8.
> W.C.R. Bob, my grandfather, born 1892, would have been about 3-4.
> Jacob, born 1893, would have been about 2-3.

I suspect the little blond boy in the center front is Jacob, and the little boy dressed in black is Bob.  But the girls....  Who could guess their ages and which is which?  I believe the young lady, upper left with the pouty face, is not one of Henry and Elizabeth's children.  She is in other family photos but my aunt, Doris (Meinzen) Dray, did not recognize her as one of her aunts.  Unless I find someone else who has this photograph with names and a date, I doubt I'll ever know for sure who the children are.

Do you have family photographs that you think show something other than the truth?  A photo snapped in the second everyone smiled when just before they were arguing?  The shutter opened just at the moment when everyone grimaced?  Photos showing "a very convincing lie?"  Or perhaps a photograph isn't a lie, just a split-second of real life?

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2021, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

10 comments:

  1. Maybe it was warm and humid and the photographer was taking too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a possibility I hadn't thought of, Linda. Maybe.

      Delete
  2. I have a picture of some "greats" and it looks like he has her hand firmly secured in the crook of his arm and she doesn't look too pleased to be there. I've always wondered what the story was behind that photo. Family History is like an ongoing mystery - a clue here a clue there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be such fun to find someone's memory about that couple, or even that photograph, wouldn't it, Robin?  Perhaps they had a rocky marriage, or maybe it was just a little quarrel, or... who knows.  Mystery after mystery after mystery with the occasional clarifying answer.  We keep at it, though.

      Delete
  3. How long was the exposure on pictures in the mid 1890's? Earlier ones took quite a while, and people had to STAY STILL for a period of time. Not like today, point, shoot, and done in seconds. Not everyone can keep a pleasant face for long periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, QuiltGranma, but is it easier to keep a frown or to keep a neutral expression? I don't know, but it's a good point that the camera lens may have needed to be open longer than in later times.

      Delete
  4. I have not thought about photos in the way you describe, but I spend way too much time counting people and estimating ages to figure out who is who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estimating ages is a hard one, Wendy! A friend posted a family photo on Facebook. He was crowdsourcing the names of people in the photo with his family. He had a list of people in the photo but didn't know who was who. He listed the names, oldest to youngest, and I tried to decide who was youngest, who was oldest, etc. I got them all wrong! But in my defense, they were all adults. It might have been easier had they been children.

      Delete
  5. The glum look on the faces of our ancestors in the photos we acquired could be because a person had to sit so very still-l-l-l for so long in "those days". A studio photo was even worse ! A metal pole with an attached strong metal piece which was hooked on around the back of one's neck..... made sure there was no movement for an almost painfully long ....time was not conducive to smiles !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I'm sure the necessarily long exposures contributed to the glum faces in some of those old photos. The one in this post, though, was not posed and I suppose was taken by an early Brownie-style camera. I'm so grateful for the speed of snapping photos these days!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...