Friday, February 19, 2021

Alexander Bell's 1922 Ohio Death Certificate

Alexander Bell is my great-great-grandmother Lydia (Bell) Thompson's older brother.  Their parents were Jacob and Lydia (Fithen) Bell.


This is a transcription of this death certificate.  Words in all uppercase are the responses.
State of Ohio, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Certificate of Death
1  Place of Death
County COLUMBIANA, Registration District No. 227, File No. [blank]
Township HANOVER  Primary Registration District No. 4338  Registered No. 36842
or Village KENSINGTON
2  Full Name  ALEXANDER BELL
Residence [blank]
Personal and Statistical Particulars
3  Sex  MALE
4  Color or Race  WHITE
5  Single....  MARRIED
6   Date of Birth  MARCH 6th 1848
7  Age  74 years, 4 months, 2 days
8  Occupation of Deceased  FARMER   General nature of industry  FARMING
9  Birthplace  OHIO
10  Name of Father  JACOB BELL
11  Birthplace of Father  OHIO
12  Maiden Name of Mother  LYDIA FITHIAN [sic]
13  Birthplace of Mother  OHIO
14  Informant  MARY C BEALL   Address  KENSINGTON
15  Filed  7/10, 1927  J. N. Sinclair, Registrar
Medical Certificate of Death
16  Date of Death  July 8th 1922
17  I hereby certify that I attended deceased from JULY 1ST, 1922 to JULY 8, 1922, that I last saw hIM alive on JULY 7, 1922 and that the death occurred, on the date stated above, at 1:20 AM.
The Cause of Death was as follows:  ARTERISCLEROSIS [sic], duration 2 yrs.
Contributory MITRAL HEART INSUFFICIENCY (duration) 1 yrs.
18  Where was disease contracted if not at place of death?  [check mark]
Did an operation precede death?  NO
Was there an autopsy?  NO
What test confirmed diagnosis?  [indecipherable]
Signed  Dr. C. C. [indecipherable]
JULY 8, 1922   (Address) E. ROCHESTER
19  Place of Burial  GROVE HILL CEMETERY, HANOVERTON
Date of Burial  JULY 10, 1922
20  Undertaker, License No. 26190  WM C. MAPLE   Address  KENSINGTON O.

This certificate is from FamilySearch's collection of Ohio death certificates.  This certificate can be viewed and downloaded here (with a free FamilySearch account).

Observations
  • The 1900 U.S. Census names Alexander's wife as Mary C. Beall who is probably the informant for the information on this certificate.   I notice that Mary spelled her name "Beall" unless that's how she pronounced it and the registrar wrote it as it sounded.  On the other hand, this may not be Alexander's wife at all, something I'll never know for sure since a relationship was not stated.
  • I am always amazed when the occupation of men in their 70s is listed as farmer.  People probably didn't retire in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  I suppose a farmer kept working until his health prevented it or until he died.  Sturdy people, those farmers of that time.
  • Edited to add:  I asked my daughter (who is a nurse) about the inconsistency of the doctor certifying the death at 1:30 a.m. on July 8 when the last time he saw Alexander alive was on July 7.  How would he know the time of death of he wasn't there?  My daughter said that the time of death is not necessarily the exact time a patient dies but the time the doctor arrives to certify the death.  If the doctor is at the patient's bedside when he dies, the time would be more accurate.  Interesting information to me.   

–Nancy.

Copyright ©2021, Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

8 comments:

  1. I noticed the name Mary Beall and wondered if it was a relation. I was looking for a relative this week and found her as Cathern Davison. I had a hard time finding her because her married name should be Davidson. It's also spelled Davison in a letter from her to my great great grandfather. This is my conclusion; in a census it lists her as not being able to read or write. She must have pronounced it without the "d" to the enumerator of the census and to whomever was writing the letter for her. It can sure be confusing but it's so exciting when you put it all together. As a side note, someone had deleted her and her children from familysearch and my ancestor because he didn't agree with the discrepancy in their ages. He was 70, she was 20. I know this is unusual but we have the birth of two children in the family bible and the letter. And she's listed in census following his death as a widow. I spent quite a bit of time collecting sources and putting things back together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that, in general, people sometimes drop some letters like the "d" in your Davidson ancestor's name.  I think they become so soft that people don't hear them.  It's great you were finally able to find her.  Very exciting, indeed, Robin!
      I think FamilySearch's Family Tree can be frustrating sometimes, especially when all the documents point to one conclusion and someone else changes things.  Did you add images from the family Bible and the letter?  Just curious about how people are adding information from documents that aren't available on FS as sources.  Good for you for putting it all back together!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about them never retiring. I was shocked to realise that my grandfather was still working in his 70s. An old-age pension is a relatively new phenomenon. And yes, if you work the land and love it, the thought never occurs to you to retire. Landline (a rural tv show in Australia) just ran a show about a man who is still on the land out west at the age of 84. Bill O'Connor. It's a pretty amazing story when you read how he survived a horrific accident when he was 24 and yet he stayed on the land. I feel I am very "soft" in comparison to my ancestors or those who work on the land. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-14/narriearra-station-nsw-ecological-treasure-trove/13146114

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sending the link to the story about Bill O'Connor, Alex. What a strong and committed man he is. Like you, I'm very soft. I think about my farming ancestors and wonder how they were able to do so much. They say the land gets into one's blood. I suppose that creates the commitment to keep going in later years. (Plus the necessity of an income if there isn't a pension, of course.)

      Delete
  3. It its amazing how much information one document can give to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I think death certificates have a lot of information in a compact form, Colleen. Of course, it depends on the informant whether it's all accurate.

      Delete
  4. Yes, census takers can make mistakes. My Great Grandmother is referred to as Jane Louise and as Louise Jane in another census. I wonder which is the true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure can, QuiltGranma! I have a similar experience for my great-grandmother but I believe she went back and forth using her first name alternately with her middle name as her call name. But who knows!
      For your grandmother, I wonder if you could find a birth record, perhaps in the county where she was born?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...