Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Miss Hannah Meinzen Returned Home, October, 1898

Hannah Meinzen is my paternal grandfather's sister.  I never knew her because she died at the age of 35.  She lived in and around Steubenville all her life so this little news item seems surprising.  Likely it was an overnight or two with her friend.  Hannah, still single in 1898, was 23. 

"Miss Hannah Meinzer [sic], of Steub-
ville, who has been the guest of Miss
Addie Hanchel, on west Walnut street,
returned home yesterday.  —[Martin’s
Ferry cor."

Should there be an interest in the style of clothing Hannah might have worn during her visit to Addie’s, this ad for McConnell, photographer, gives us an idea.


Images of both paragraph and drawing were published in the October 12, 1898, issue of The Steubenville Herald-Star, page 5, column 3, under the heading, "The People.  Items of Interest Connected With Those Coming and Going."  This year of the newspaper is available at Ancestry.com and at the Archives Library of Ohio History Connection (formerly The Ohio Historical Society), Microfilm Roll #12947.


If you'd like to read more about Hannah Meinzen Hendricks, see these posts:

-–Nancy.

Copyright © 2021 Nancy Messier.  All Rights Reserved. 
Do not copy or use any content from this blog without written permission from the owner. 

.

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea to imagine how she might have dressed for a visit. The manners of the day would make for interesting research too. I suspect a hostess gift would have been in order. Do people still do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only thought about her clothing because I saw the ad! I enjoy learning about the social history in the times of my ancestors. I'm not sure where I would look to learn about hostess gifts near the turn of the century. Yes, I believe people do still take hostess gifts when they visit these days, Wendy.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...