Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gust in Early Photobooth Photos?

The question is not whether these are photos of Gust Doyle. We know for certain these are him. The question is whether or not they are photobooth photos. The original of these two photos (combined on the same paper) is about 2" by 3", which is about the size of old photobooth photos.

Gust was born on November 17, 1888. If he was about 14 or 15 in these photos, that puts the date at 1902-03. Wade's Photobooth Gallery offers a brief history of the development of the photobooth. The first patent for an automatic photography machine was filed in 1889, but it wasn't until 1925 that the idea took off and they became successful.

Or maybe these photos were taken by a photographer in a studio and these two, printed on the same sheet, were proofs.

Who knows. Photobooth photos or not, it's still the anniversary of the day my grandfather was born and I want to wish him a very Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Gust. If it were my choice I would pick the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Sir! + I Never Knew Booths Had Such A Long History.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first one too. My maternal grandparents were also born in 1888. It would be interesting to do a multi-blog timeline of some sort one day. I have no idea how it would work but I will think of Gust sometimes and wonder what he was doing, when I'm looking at my grandparents lives now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I like the candidness of many photobooth photos. Whether or not these actually are photobooth photos they provide a wonderful sense of what your Grandfather was like.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...