Thursday, June 13, 2013

U is for Ubiquitous - Family History Through the Alphabet

ubiquitous  \ yü-ˈbi-kwə-təs \  adj.  existing or being everywhere at the same time  :  constantly encountered  :  widespread
We'll go with "constantly encountered" and "widespread" for this post.  I'm thinking of those things which are or seem to be ubiquitous to family historians and genealogists.  Let's start with these, in no particular order.
  • family group sheets
  • pedigree charts
  • ancestors
  • sources
  • birth records
  • newspapers
  • journals
  • marriage records
  • FamilySearch
  • obituaries
  • Evidence Explained
  • genealogy blogs
  • death records
  • timelines
  • libraries
  • repositories
  • National Archives
  • church records
  • letters 
  • census records
  • tombstones
  • maps
  • clerks (courthouse, vital record office, cemetery, etc.)
  • brick walls
  •  
  •  
  •  

Can you add to my list of what's ubiquitous to family historians and genealogists?


This post is a contribution to Alona Tester's Family History Through the Alphabet challenge at Genealogy and History News.  Thanks for creating and sharing this challenge, Alona.

--Nancy.
.

7 comments:

  1. I'd add to the list: "census records," "tombstones," "maps," "clerks" (courthouse, vital record office, cemetery, etc.), and unfortunately, "brick walls."

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have missed those, Leah?!!! Thanks for mentioning them. I added them to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I'm so glad I decided to subscribe via email, instead of reader (which I rarely look at anymore). Love seeing the great picture of you and your grandson. Your blog is among the best out there, I know because I've been following you for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ubiquitous is such an interesting word! Thanks for the terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is an interesting word. I doubt there's anything truly ubiquitous other than air but the word served my purpose for the alphabet challenge.

      Thanks for visiting and leaving a kind comment, Dorene. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. I have been looking around for this kind of information. Will you post some more in future? I’ll be grateful if you will.
    irishfamily roots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alina. I'll try to remember to add things as I think of them. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...