As I carefully (and oh-so-slowly) hand-stitch lace to the bottom of her wedding gown, I ponder the activities of previous generations of mothers (and daughters) as they planned and prepared for their daughters' weddings. These are a few of the things I wonder:
- Were any of their wedding dresses white?
- Were any of the dresses hand-stitched?
- Did they sent out invitations?
- Did many people, or few, attend their weddings?
- Did they have receptions or celebrations of any kind?
- Did they receive many wedding gifts?
- Did they go on honeymoons?
- Did they wear something old, something new, etc.?
- Were any of them carried over the threshold by their new husbands?
If I had more time I'd search HEARTH to see what I could find about the activities of brides and their mothers in times past. My research into that topic will have to wait until after October 8!